Travel Tips: Travelling with small children
It's holiday season which means a lot of you may be going on a vacation soon! Lucky you!
Some of you asked to share tips for travelling with little ones so here it is :)
1. My number one priority, even on a daily basis, is to keep to mealtimes. Don't push lunch or dinners too late because you are on-the-go. Just like adults, children get hangry too! And once they start throwing a tantrum, it will be a little bit tougher to settle in a restaurant/sit down to eat/etc.
2. Offer snacks throughout the day so the children are not too hungry should there be a delay in mealtime. Pack healthy snacks like bananas and avoid sugary food like chocolates as they are not very filling and will only give them sugar rush. Offer them water throughout the day.
3. Bring a stroller, preferably one that reclines. Small children still take naps during the day so it is important not to skip naps to avoid over-tiring them.
4. Have a well-supplied diaper bag. Make sure to pack enough for the day (eg. diapers, extra clothes, wipes, snacks, small toys).
5. Stroller hooks are great for shopping bags!
6. Pack with you the stroller raincover as they are not only great for a rainy day, but also great to keep the kiddos warm if you are travelling to a cold country.
7. Dress for the weather. If you're going somewhere cold, do bundle up! Don't forget the stroller footmuff. If you're going somewhere a little bit warmer, do dress the children lightly and avoid staying in the heat too long. Take breaks in an air-conditioned cafe/shop.
8. Keep the children entertained on long journeys by offering them activity books, small toys, stickers, playdough. Do keep a coloring set with you in your diaper bag at all times.
9. Pack child-friendly headphones for in-flight entertainment.
10. Arrange airplane seats early, especially if you require the bassinet.
11. Take breaks in between outings. We would spend 3-4 hourd visiting/shopping and head back home to rest. We may head out again for dinner.
12. Don't forget hourly/every 2 hour diaper change.
13. Include in your agenda fun activities for the kids too! eg. museums, zoo, waterpark...
14. If possible, have a stretched out holiday to spread out your activities. This can help keep your days light and easy.
I hope these tips are helpful and if you'd like to add on to the list, please do leave me a comment here :)
We wish you safe travels!